My Thoughts on Mother’s Day
Mother’s Day is coming up soon and it got me thinking… what exactly does this special day mean to me? Mother’s Day isn’t just the second Sunday in May, or a day to give or receive flowers with a pretty card. It’s a day where we celebrate Mothers! The mom’s in our lives, mom’s-to-be, and mom’s who are no longer with us. It’s a day to cherish our mothers and Motherhood in all it’s many forms. It’s become one of my favorite days of the year.
Since I’ve become a mother, Mother’s Day has taken on a whole new meaning. I am reminded of how lucky I am to be a mom. I’m also reminded of how grateful I am to my own mother, who’s not only loved, encouraged, and supported me in life, but who has taken on a new role as a grandma. Mother’s Day is a day we celebrate #MOMLIFE with all it’s beautiful chaos! However you celebrate Mother’s Day, I hope you share it with those you love, remembering the “mother figures” who have touched your life in one way or another. Being a mom to a precious 14 month old boy, I’m just hoping I’ll get to sleep past 6:00am and drink a cup of coffee without re-heating it three times!
For Mother’s Day this year, we will be going downtown for a fancy brunch with my parents. I’ll likely be indulging in a fancy mimosa and some delicious Belgium waffles while daddy feeds Hudson and entertains him at the restaurant. What do you have planned for the day?
5 Things (you probably didn’t know) About Mother’s Day:
- The first Mother’s Day was celebrated in 1908 and originated in the United States
- Mother’s Day is usually the 2nd weekend in May, although in England (and other countries) they celebrate it in March.
- Approximately 150 million phone calls are made to mom’s on Mother’s Day in North America.
- The most common flower given on Mother’s Day is the carnation.
- In what was formerly Yugoslavia, children would tie up their mother on Mother’s Day. In order to be freed, she would have to pay her children with treats.
Did you know our co-authored book “You’ve Got This Mama” became an Amazon Best-Seller last week!? Order your copy today! CLICK THIS LINK and enter code: CANDICE20 to receive 20% OFF!
Happy Mother’s Day Fellow Mamas! XO